Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Pet of the Week, Ella!

Hello Everyone!

You may have seen my picture on the ARF website for a while now. That's because I was rescued all the way back in February of 2010. Why are you just reading more about me now? Well, because it's taken me quite a while to get where I am today. I was rescued as what they call a feral dog, meaning, I was likely born as a stray and never had any (or very little) human interaction until I was rescued.

I remember my first day in my new foster home – First, I remember it was warm, but second, I remember that none of my favorite hiding spots were there. So I tried really hard to find new ones. The best place I found was under the deck outside. My foster parents would come out in the rain to try to get me to come inside. I didn't want to come, but they insisted. Once I was inside, it was nice to be warm and dry. Now, all they have to do is open the door and I'll come running!

The next thing I remember is all the yummy treats my foster parents tried to give me. I was really scared and though the treats smelled very good – I didn't know why they wanted to give them to me, so I stayed put. I wouldn't even come out of my crate when they held steak out for me! It was especially hard not to take it, but I was too scared. Now, when the treats come out – I'm first in line.


Then the spring and summer came. What? A leash? You want to drag me around with that thing? Again, this was something new for me, so even the best treats they could find would not get me to move. Now, I still don't really like the leash, but I have had some walks around the neighborhood. I started by walking around on the deck and the backyard. When my big day came to go out the front door, it took 20 minutes to get me there. I still get scared and try to hide when I see the leash, but I'm getting better!



I've had a few trips on Saturday's to PetSmart to visit with some of my ARF cousins. The first trip was really hard. Being around lots of people was ok (I like people!), it was the automatic doors that were really loud and spooked me. Each time I go, it gets a little easier.

So, as you can see, I have come a long, long way since the day I was rescued. I am very much looking forward to the day I find my forever home. I will need a very special family to live with. I see myself living with a family that definitely has at least one other dog – I love to play and run around with the dogs in my foster home and they help me feel more comfortable in my surroundings. Older kids are nice too, but little children move to quickly and sometimes scare me. Since I don't know if I will ever actually like going for walks, a big back yard where I can run would be terrific! And you have to like giving scratches. Once I get to know you, I will come for rubs and scratches all the time and I love hugs too! Of course, my new family will have to understand that I'm not used to a lot of things and even though I've come such a long way, I have lots of work left to do. Some one who has experience with dogs like me would be wonderful, but someone who is compassionate and willing to work with me and learn together would be wonderful too. Is that someone you? If so, fill out an application for me today!

Oh, I should also mention that I think I'm a bit of a celebrity! Yup, I have my very own Facebook Page. My foster family posts pictures (with some videos coming soon) and will share more stories about me. If you would like to follow my journey, please "like" my Facebook page and tell all of your friends to visit my page as well.

Hope to see you around!
Ella

No comments:

Post a Comment